Friday, September 13, 2013

How much is too much?

Okay, I will admit going in, I may lose a few male followers for writing this post.  If you would have written this and suggested I read it, until recently, I might have "unfollowed" you too!
My issue is sports.  I've loved it with a PASSION all my life!  The love of it was instilled in me very early by my grandfather and my father.  If there was ever a good game on (most any sport!), we were watching it.  I have carried this habit through most of my adult life.  Through some major re-arrangement of priorities and a healthy submission to God and his ways for me and my family, for the FIRST TIME in my life, I am experiencing the "freedom" to watch a game or not watch a game.
I just lost most men reading this.
Let me make my point.  My wife, for most of our marriage, has had the theory that every day of the world, there is some game on that I just can't miss!  While that theory has not proved 100% true, I am ashamed to admit that it has a lot of truth (or has).  We are passionate about the teams we love.  We are "afraid" to miss anything good that might happen when they play, so we make sure to push everything else away so as not to miss a moment.  Think about it.  What did you "push away" the last time you really wanted to watch a game?  Was there something you really should have been addressing with your family?  A kid that needed help with homework?  A wife that was feeling a little neglected?  A friend that could have used a kind word from you?
Guys, if you're still with me, I have been the guiltiest of any of you of doing this.  Is it bad to watch a game?  Absolutely not!  Do we need to watch EVERY game to the detriment of other important things in our lives?  Absolutely not!  This is all a very new emotion in me, so if I sound a crazy man, well, maybe I am. I am not telling anyone, you should change too...you may not have this "issue" in your life.  But it is HUGE to me right now and to my wife, that I have made time for her and for my boys where before I refused to miss an inning of baseball or a snap of a football game.
Am I still going to enjoy watching sometimes?  By all means, yes.  But only when it is not taking away from what is more important.

A passage in Matthew spells out well where my heart is on this matter.  Matthew 6:21 says, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also".

No comments:

Post a Comment