Sunday, September 4, 2011

Okay, what now? Texas-Texas A&M Divorce

Let's face it, Aggies and Longhorns love to hate each other. I have some really good friends that are Aggies so hate may be a bit of a strong word, but it fits in many instances. So every year for the last 100 years or so, this rivalry, this yearlong back and forth has been able to be resolved on the football field and one side of the rivalry has "bragging rights" for the next year. So now A&M is bolting for the SEC and all the traditions, the yearly rivalry, and everything that goes with it will be gone. It is possible that they could schedule games in the future, but I will bet it doesn't happen for a while (it will take a while for wounds/egos to heal). So where does all this "energy" get channeled now? Do Texas and A&M just forget about each other? I doubt it. It is all very unfortunate. I am a traditionalist and I really hate to see the rivalry go away. Although I understand it is big business, so I can direct my "angst" at those in charge (at both schools) and not direct it at my Aggie friends who had no control over it.
So, if we are not to be rivals anymore, do we just try to get along? Settle our differences in a different way? Arm wrestling?
It's strange times in college football right now. I am sad to see big business overlook any sense of tradition and simply look out for number one. But that is the world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment